Halloween is a fun and festive time of year, but it’s important to ensure our celebrations are eco-friendly. Let’s explore ways YOU can promote sustainability during the Halloween season and be a leader in your community.
- Solar-Powered Halloween Decorations: Add a spooky ambiance to your home with solar-powered decorations! Solar-powered lights, lanterns, and other decorations harness energy from the sun during the day and illuminate automatically at night, reducing electricity consumption. You can even find some great options at your local dollar store.
- Eco-Friendly Costume Choices: Opt for eco-friendly and sustainable costumes made from recycled materials. Encourage your friends and family to be creative and upcycle old clothing or materials to create unique costumes rather than purchasing new ones. Second hand stores are also excellent options if you’re not feeling crafty.
- Promote Sustainable Treats: Encourage your neighborhood to offer sustainable treats to trick-or-treaters, such as organic or locally sourced candies. (Just don’t be the house that gives out apples! 🙈)
- Pumpkin Composting: Suggest composting pumpkins after Halloween. Composted pumpkins can enrich the soil and reduce waste in landfills, contributing to a more sustainable environment. Solar supporter, Garbage to Garden, is a fantastic choice!
- Encourage Carpooling or Walking: Grab a group of friends and hitch a ride together. Carpooling or walking while trick-or-treating is a fun and simple way to reduce carbon emissions.
- Light Up Your House With Solar Energy: Solar energy is *the easiest, fastest, most effective way to go green* on Halloween and every day. Just one household that enrolls in community solar in Maine is the equivalent of planting 100 tree seedlings, and signing up takes LESS THAN 10 minutes! Go solar now for a FRE $50 Thank You Card.
By promoting solar-powered decorations, eco-friendly costumes, sustainable treats, and community engagement, we can work together to ensure a greener and more eco-conscious Halloween celebration. Lead by example and inspire others to embrace a sustainable approach to this spooktacular holiday.
Have a happy and sustainable Halloween! 👻🎃