In a world increasingly focused on sustainability, it’s no surprise that many individuals are looking to follow suit wherever possible, including when going back to school. Whether you’re attending one class or an entire school year, here are 8 easily sustainable tips on on going green at school:
- Eco-Friendly Transportation: Consider eco-friendly transportation options like biking, walking, carpooling, or using public transportation to get to school. These choices reduce your carbon footprint and help alleviate traffic congestion.
- Digital Learning Materials: Embrace digital textbooks and online resources whenever possible. They not only reduce paper waste but also make it easier to access course materials from anywhere.
- Reusable School Supplies: Invest in reusable school supplies like refillable pens, notebooks, and binders. Opt for recycled paper products and eco-friendly stationery items to minimize waste.
- Sustainable Eating Habits: When it comes to meals on campus, choose dining options that prioritize local, organic, and sustainable food. Bring your own reusable utensils, water bottle, and food containers to reduce single-use plastic waste. For bonus points, dine at one of the many local restaurants that have already enrolled with a local solar farm.
- Eco-Conscious Living: Make your office or study space more sustainable by using energy-efficient lighting, turning off appliances when not in use, and reducing water waste. BONUS TIP: Decorate with plants to improve air quality.
- Join Green Initiatives: Get involved! Many universities and business establishments have eco-focused clubs or programs where you can engage with like-minded individuals and participate in environmentally friendly projects. You can also join us at one (or all!) of our weekly events. We are very active in the community, and would love for you to join us and help spread the word about the benefits of renewable energy.
- Minimize Printing: If you need to print documents, use both sides of the paper and print in draft mode to save on resources. Also consider whether it’s really necessary to even print at all; digital files can often suffice.
- Advocate for Sustainability: Use your voice and knowledge to advocate for sustainability within your school community. Encourage your institution to adopt more eco-friendly practices and engage in discussions about sustainability in your classes. This PDF is a great tool to use in your discussions, You just might inspire your educational institution to adopt renewable energy solutions!
Incorporating these sustainable practices into your routine not only reduces your environmental impact but also fosters a sense of responsibility towards the planet. By making conscious choices, you can contribute to a greener and more eco-conscious future, one school day at a time.
Have you enrolled in community solar yet? Sign up today and earn a FREE $50 Thank You for doing your part for our environment!
Ready to learn more about us, sustainability, and how renewable energy gives back to you and our environment? Check out our other helpful articles and tips below!